On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:46 PM Manuel Jesús Recena Soto <rec...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Oliver,
>
> I like the idea.
>
> General speaking, ATH and PCT are very important and we should look after
> its healthy.
>
> IMHO, PCT results are a nice place to figure out bad symptoms on some
> plugins.

Can you describe the types of symptoms you envision detecting with PCT?

I am interested in running the plugin tests with a different
jenkins.version value, after compiling with an unmodified jenkins.version
value.  That seems like an interesting test alternative that might surface
interesting differences in the test harnesses or the core code.

I'm not really interested in having some external automation tell me that
the current code does not compile with the latest Jenkins core.
JENKINS-36646 seems like the same condition I see, failure to compile with
the newer Jenkins version because code changes are required before the
plugin can depend on the newer version.

I update the Jenkins core dependency rarely and with great care.  A bug
report like JENKINS-36646 is a distraction rather than a help, since I will
see the compilation failure as soon as I prepare the change for the plugin
to support the new Jenkins core version.

For example, the git plugin 3.0.0-beta already has the necessary change to
compile with more recent Jenkins core, but the automation probably won't
know that it needs to evaluate a beta version on a different branch than
master.

Mark Waite