(replies inline)

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018, Jesse Glick wrote:

> Jenkins already includes the `instance-identity` module, which is the
> standard mechanism¹ for both uniquely identifying a Jenkins
> installation, and permitting asymmetrically-encrypted communications
> with it. Is there a reason you are not using it? If so, that should be
> clearly documented under ???Alternative Approaches???. There is a vague
> mention of OpenSSH keys, but this module is not limited to SSH (much
> less OpenSSH), and public-key encryption has widespread library
> support.

Thanks for taking a look Jesse! You're right that Jenkins already does have an
instance identity floating around. In a much earlier iteration of my thinking I
was
considering using this until I started to think about how this would work in
practice for new installations.

Unfortunately when the jenkins/evergreen image comes online and checks for
updates, it will not have run `jenkins.war` at all yet, and therefore no
instance identity. Rather than have one unprotected/identified route in the
service backend for bootstrapping new nodes, I am erring on the side of
treating all "got updates?" requests the same, which requires a client
registration and identity to kick the process off.

You're absolutely right that the 'Alternative Approaches" section doesn't list
this and should, I'll update shortly.

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

     Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
  Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
     xmpp: rty...@jabber.org

  % gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F