(replies inline)

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Baptiste Mathus wrote:

> (Adding in CC Emmanuel Lécharny <http://people.apache.org/~elecharny/>, who
> took a look at the proposal)
>
> Trying to summarize our chat on Twitter, I see two outstanding points:
>
> * Emmanuel is rightly questioning/concerned about the potential of DDoS for
> this JEP.
> Tyler, should we add something about this in the JEP, or do you consider it
> more something to be addressed in an IEP on the infra side?
> (also, downstream to it AIUI, the Telemetry and other services are all DDoS
> vectors)

I consider the discussion about rate limiting (for example) to be the future of
the deployment aspect of these services as well, but guess who will be writing
the IEP! :)

Concerns about a DDoS as they might apply to the client/service interaction are
definitely worth discussing in relation to the JEP. However, based on what I
interpret is Emmanuel's feedback, it's not the interactions necessarily but
rather a "good infra hygiene" concern which I understand.

> * "MITM for expiry": it seems possible to reuse an UUID signed with the PK.
> "Ideally, to renew the token, you should have a 'nonce' to avoid MITM"

This feedback I'm not sure I understand. The UUID and public key are only ever
exchanged on initial registration, and then the signed payload (indicating
authenticity) is use for the "login" behavior. On JWT expiry, the login flow is
re-initiated rather than the registration flow, so I'm not sure I understand
where the Man-in-the-Middle for expiry concern would come in.

Perhaps something is getting lost in translation here on my end?

Thanks for acting as a proxy Baptiste, and thanks Emmanuel for taking the time
to look at the proposal!

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

     Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
  Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
     xmpp: rty...@jabber.org

  % gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F