Hi Calvin,

Jenkins.instance vs Hudson.instance? Which contains what and why?

   - There is no real difference. "Hudson.getInstance()" xists for
   compatibility reasons but returns the same object

Hudson.instance.tasks.dump()

As designed, there is no "tasks" in the Jenkins object:
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/blob/master/core/src/main/java/jenkins/model/Jenkins.java

. Likely you got confused by package names.

How do I access the setShell() method?

It should be something like that (untested):
*Jenkins.instance.getDescriptor(hudson.tasks.Shell.class).setShell()*

Hopefully it helps,
Oleg