On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 6:12 AM Robert Sandell <rsand...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
> Is the intention to move all translations from core and plugins into these
> new localisation plugins?

That is my understanding.

> got some "illegal access compilation errors" because the plugin was using
> hudson.model.Messages for some of its UI strings. I assume this was added
> because it can break compatibility in case of refactoring in core

Yes, your plugin could get a linkage error if messages are rearranged
in a lower layer (not necessarily core).

> it will be very cumbersome to change a resource bundle key as you then need
> to change it in 30 odd localization plugins

No, I do not think there is any expectation that developers would
rename keys in localization plugins. They would just change the
English key. In particular, `core/move-l10n.groovy` could be deleted.

Translators are responsible for keeping up: introducing translations
for recently added keys, or removing stale translations for keys which
no longer exist. If a given version of the localization plugin for a
given locale fails to supply a translation for a given key, then it
will simply be rendered in English.