If there was a way to release community plugins from our infra then you
could do this with a simple command without the need to grant any
permissions to apps.

"jx step changelog" / https://github.com/github-tools/github-release-notes are
some possible commands but others exist too.

now we have the repository permission updater for artifactory, could we not
re-use the same to grant committers access to "build" on a "release" job in
the plugin folder (make the master branch parameterisable and have a build
that takes a release paramter defaulted to false)?  The job is the trivial
part, the harder bit is maybe the AuthN/AuthZ mapping and I'm not sure what
ci.jenkinsci.org is actually using to know if this is feasable or not, or
if there are other vectors that makes this unrealistic.

/James