Hi all,

I have just noticed a few PRs (some merged) to change ASM in core or
libraries that core depdns on (stapler).

I think we need to revert these and have a bigger think about ASM.

ASM historically (and I believe still true) evolved in a non compatible way.

In the past I have seen that versions add support for new class opcodes,
but this requires the code to implement the new methods to handle them as a
no-op, or causes linkage failures depending on how you use ASM.

We also have a complete mix of ASM versions required for Core.  (stapler /
BCT) can be aligned quite easily - but Guice also depends on ASM (our
current version of guice uses 5.0.3 (unshaded!)) and whilst newer versions
of Guice use 9, bumping to that may entail bumping Guava (which Guice also
heavily relies upon) and we are working towards that byut are not yet ready
for it.

I have not seen the ASM changes discussed before (sorry if I missed it).
Could we at least have a discussion here or via a JEP as I believe there
are several moving parts that need to align (and possible several things we
currently do that are also broken!).

Thanks

/James