I don't remember seeing formal docs about it, but I believe it was
changed for two reasons:

1. Dependency simplifications in general. That's been an ongoing
effort by multiple people, particularly in Jenkins Core.
2. ASM needs to be upgraded more often now that Java itself is
released more often. Even if you shade in ASM, you trade one problem
for another in that newer Java releases are unable to run Jenkins (I'd
give a pass for Java 16 since they changed some stuff related to
poking at internals).

I do think a JEP could be useful if it helped figure out a strategy
for packaging and updating ASM to avoid compatibility issues for both
ASM itself and Java.