On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 8:16 AM Basil Crow <m...@basilcrow.com> wrote:

> Thanks for getting this started! I'd like to propose also adding the
> core API for JENKINS-66001 (to which I just added the "lts-candidate"
> label) from https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/5599 to this LTS
> release. This API is intended to be consumed by the Pipeline plugins,
> and including it in an LTS release will facilitate the release of this
> new functionality in Pipeline. Nothing in core consumes the new API,
> so there is no risk of regression here

New APIs are generally not great to backport. Core dependency version
number semantics means anyone on a weekly release after the LTS baseline
but before the change made it into core regularly, will not have that API
and plugins will fail while appearing compatible.

That out of the way, this change made it into 2.304, so there's only one
weekly release the above will apply to (2.303), which is probably safe to
ignore if we deem the change important enough.

Given that only dependency updates went into 2.303, there's also an
argument for us to choose that as the new baseline instead of 2.302;
eliminating the above problem entirely without adding a lot of risk
through unproven changes (I would expect commons-compress and
spring-security updates to be safe enough).