On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 6:04 PM James Nord <jamestn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> the flatten plugin confuses tools

Which? I think we have ironed out any problems as lots of components have
picked up JEP-305. Even seems to work fine on BOMs; the last things I am
hesitant
<https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater/pull/2223#issue-1069743433>
to flatten without more careful testing are parent POMs.

Using MRP as I described would not confuse any tool

Depends on the tool. The problem would be that a source checkout at the
commit/tag would, if loaded as a project rather than a deployed artifact,
have a version different from the artifact. (Also true in JEP-229
components by default, but you can simply pass a fixed and unconditional
`-Dset.changelist` and the resulting version is deterministic.)

And as mentioned previously
<https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins-maven-cd-action/pull/14#issuecomment-986806625>,
if you drop that constraint, you can flatten and trivially `deploy` any
version string you like (and tag it) without going through all the
complexity of MRP. The only reason to deal with MRP is to get the two junk
commits that rewrite `<version>` (and `<tag>`) in a tagged SCM commit.