On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 10:44 AM 'jn...@cloudbees.com' via Jenkins
Developers <jenkinsci-dev@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> you are still tagging the commit "[maven-release-plugin] prepare release
> project-a.bcd"  the only difference is that these commits never appear on
> the mainline branch (master)

Yes, this is possible. Generally undesirable for release tags not to be on
the trunk branch, though. Compare views and bisect will be all messed up,
history views like gitg will not indicate where release points were, etc.

that is the biggest issue we have with JEP229 currently

What is the issue? JEP-229 is working fine so far AFAICT.