Hi Cyrille,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 3:39 AM 'Cyrille Le Clerc' via Jenkins
Developers <jenkinsci-dev@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> I would definitely be interested in publishing the syslog-java-client library
> to Maven Central from non Jenkins project to easily consume the library.

Great!

> My understanding of the Sonatype OSS publishing process is that one can only
> publish on a groupId he is legitimate for which probably means that the
> Jenkins Community will not been authorized to publish an artifact under the
> "com.cloudbees" groupId and will probably require to rename the groupId from
> "com.cloudbees" to "io.jenkins.***".

Based on my reading of the Sonatype documentation, I think your
understanding is correct, but I would not necessarily assume that the
use of the "com.cloudbees" namespace by the Jenkins project for such
legacy libraries is forbidden. I think that is an open question that
we could pose to CloudBees management, and in particular Michaël
Pailloncy (who started this discussion). Non-technical matters aside,
the technical cost to CloudBees would be small (assisting with
Sonatype verification), while the technical benefit to users would be
large (avoiding a migration of Maven group ID for all consumers of
this library), so I think it is at least worth asking. If the answer
is no, fine - we can switch the group ID to "io.jenkins", open a help
desk ticket with the Jenkins infrastructure team to assist with the
Sonatype verification, and ask all downstream consumers to change
group IDs. I have no strong preference either way.

Best regards,
Basil