> don't touch core, so have no idea what the impact would be.

The PoC contains a renovate file
<https://github.com/NotMyFault/jenkins-renovate-poc/blob/master/renovate.disabled>
 instead
of the dependabot file, but the configuration has been carried over.
The transition would be a drop in replacement, if renovate is already
installed on the org, otherwise someone with the sufficient permissions has
to do that and enable it for core.

> I'm a big fan of renovate, so I think its a good idea

So am I, using it frequently in other projects.