> Is there a compelling reason to prefer Renovate for Jenkins core Java
dependencies?

dependabot and renovate can manage Java dependencies equally fine, the
drawback for frontend deps apply here too, you get one PR each, if that is
a reasonable and frequent concern (it is not from what I've seen).

Although, I don't think we need two bots alongside for different package
ecosystems, when one bot can do both.
If renovate doesn't turn out well for Java dependency updates or exposes
unforeseen issues that can't be fixed, we can still switch back to
dependabot for java dependency updates.