If you use the Git for Windows installer, it offers 3 choices for how you
can modify your PATH to include git.  If you install in "Program Files"
(rather than a thumbdrive install) and choose to at least be able to run
git from the Windows command prompt (the middle choice), then you shouldn't
need any further configuration globally or locally.

If you choose to not modify the PATH to allow Windows command prompt to run
git, then the git plugin doesn't (currently) attempt to make guesses about
the location of the git executable.

Mark Waite