I'm pretty sure Daniel didn't say to not use the plugin manager. He said
that IF you don't use it, then you need to make sure all the dependencies
are handled correctly on your own. The plugin manager does that for you,
but just dropping hpi files into JENKINS_HOME is not expected to work if
you don't provide all the dependencies yourself.