Hey James,

I had the same issue without understanding what happened. Meanwhile I also
understand that it's due to the automatic updates kicking in. I solved it
by removing the JDK from that AMI and let the master install it.

You could also update your AMI and not allow auto upgrades, or you could
add in the "init-script" of the cloud configuration in jenkins master to
perform an upgrade. From what I see in the code (
https://github.com/jenkinsci/ec2-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/hudson/plugins/ec2/ssh/EC2UnixLauncher.java#L184)

it should wait for the upgrade to be finished.

Hope this helps

Cheers