Our projects produce large artifacts that now need to be compressed, and
I'm considering my alternatives. The zip step
<https://jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/steps/pipeline-utility-steps/#zip-create-zip-file>

would be a nice non-plugin solution but I'm curious what compression
technique this uses. The documentation page linked above doesn't show any
options that pertain to compression tuning.

I've also seen the Compress Artifacts Plugin
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/compress-artifacts-plugin>, but I can't tell
from its docs either whether the algo is tunable. Also I'd rather not
depend on another plugin.

If neither of the above work, I'll simply use sh step to call xz, gzip,
bzip, or the like, from my linux-based master.

Thanks for your consideration,
Tim Black