Ernest,

I've been using JessDE recently and found myself spending a considerable amount of time checking to make sure my variables were bound and used in the right places in the patterns. It seems to me that having a simple way to verify/highlight the bindings visually would help in this regard.

One possibility would be to add a meta-key that would toggle the font color of each variable and bolding the location where they are first bound - similar to paren highlighting. This could also be done to track variable binding/usage on the RHS as well.

Alternatively, the meta-key could cycle through each variable, a different variable each time you press it, to change the font color of it's binding+bold and usages in a fixed color.

Thoughts, comments?

alan