As soon as you have more than one thread, you have to be *very careful* with your definitions of words like "when" and "finished".

The method "runUntilHalt()" just does something like this

while (!halt) {
    while there are activated rules and halt is false
        fire a rule
    wait for halt to become true or there to be new activations
}

So when you call "runUntilHalt()", Jess can potentially be "done" lots of times. If you want to do something special at that time, then don't call runUntilHalt() -- write your own equivalent method which is based on the same loop, but does something special. For example

while (!halt) {
    while there are activated rules and halt is false
        fire a rule
// At this point, either there are no rules to fire, or "halt" has been called // This is, I think, what you're calling "a safe spot to call halt", although, of course,
    // it's always safe to do so
    if (mySpecialHaltFlag)
        break;