Agree with Donald, were on holiday.

"Any impact from things like jBoss rules or other engines?"
-Perhaps a little, but not greatly. I will applaud Red Hat for
exposing more and more people to rule engines through open source
however.

With that said, I think the many users of Jess stick with it due to
it's maturity and 'rule engine features' as apposed to the convenient
bundling of open source middle-ware. I have the feeling that many will
get introduced to rule engines through Drools now, but when searching
for something that gets the job done they will sway elsewhere.

Lets not forget, even the Drools reference area (and JBoss Rules /
Drools Developer Book) recommends you read:
"Jess in Action: Java Rule-based Systems"

--
V/R
-Socrates Frangis