Hi Jess users,

I have the following function:

(deffunction similarity-score (?base ?other)
    (bind ?score 0)
    (bind ?totalDistance 0)
    (bind ?counter 0)
    (foreach ?x ?base
        (bind ?counter (+ ?counter 1))
        (printout t "counter is:" ?counter)
        (bind ?partialDistance 0)
        (printout t "partialDist is:" ?partialDistance)
        (foreach ?y ?other
            (bind ?partialDistance (+ ?partialDistance 1))
            (printout t "foreach partialDist is:" ?partialDistance)
            (if (eq ?x ?y) then
                (bind ?score (+ ?score 1))
                (printout t "score is:" ?score)
                (return)
            )
        )
    (bind ?totalDistance (/ ?counter ?partialDistance))
    )
    (return (- (/ ?score (length$ ?base)) (* (- 1 (/ (length$ ?base)
?totalDistance)) 0.1) ))
)

As you can see, the above function has a nested foreach loop, which upon
finding equal values in both list should skip to the next iteration of the
outer loop. In java, instead of (return) one would normally put a break
statement. As far as the documentation of the (foreach) construct reads, it
says: "The return function can be used to break the iteration". However,
what I am finding is that the (return) function terminates the outer loop
too - unless I seriously messed up the code - but this is the result of my
observation of the (printout t) function. Moreover, when I remove the
(return) function, the function iterates over the outer and inner loops
just fine.

Any advice on how can I break the inner's loop iteration? I know I can use
a variable to flag that the match has been found and add it to the if
statement, but I am hoping that there is an equivalent of break in Jess.

Cheers,
Pete