http://www.yashanet.com/studies/revstudy/rev2d.htm
THE PRIESTLY GARMENTS
(Last update 6/23/00)

In chapter 28 of Exodus we have God's instruction concerning the priesthood and
the garments of the priest. These garments themselves contain a great deal of
meaning, some of it easily understood through Scripture and some of it less so.
Of particular interest are the garments of the Cohen Gadol (High Priest) worn
only on the feast of Yom Kippur. Whereas the regular attire of the High Priest
was made up of eight separate garments, on Yom Kippur He would wear only four
garments, all of them white.

The feast of Yom Kippur has a definite connection to the events in the book of
Revelation that usher in the New Covenant. The book of Hebrews offers a lot of
insight into Yeshua's role as High Priest and as the final Yom Kippur salvation
sacrifice. (This will be part of our Hebrews study later this year.)

Isaiah shows that God Himself dresses as a High Priest for the dual purpose of
atonement for faithful Israel and judgment for adulteress Israel and the
nations:

  Isaiah 59:15-17 - Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh
himself a prey: and the LORD saw it, and it displeased him that there was no
judgment. And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no
intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; and his
righteousness, it sustained him. For he put on righteousness as a breastplate,
and an helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on the garments of
vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloak.

At the same time His garments are red with the blood of judgment. There is a
connection between the garments of vengeance and the Lord's Day of vengeance:

  Isaiah 63:1-6 - Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from
Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of
his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save. Wherefore art thou
red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat? I
have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for
I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood
shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment. For the
day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come. And I
looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to
uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it
upheld me. And I will tread down the people in mine anger, and make them drunk
in my fury, and I will bring down their strength to the earth.

The language is the same as found in Revelation 14:14-20 and 19:11-15:

  Revelation 14:14-20 - And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the
cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and
in his hand a sharp sickle. And another angel came out of the temple, crying
with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap:
for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.
And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth
was reaped. And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he
also having a sharp sickle. And another angel came out from the altar, which
had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp
sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine
of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe. And the angel thrust in his sickle
into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great
winepress of the wrath of God. And the winepress was trodden without the city,
and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space
of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.

  Revelation 19:11-15 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and
he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth
judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many
crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was
clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in
fine linen, white and clean.   And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that
with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron:
and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Using Hillel's second rule of interpretation, Gezerah Shavah, (where similar
terminology is used in different verses and it follows that the same
considerations apply to both), we see that Isaiah was speaking of Yeshua as
well.

Click here to send us a question or comment on this part of the study!

======================================

http://www.yashanet.com/studies/revstudy/rev3c.htm

YOM KIPPUR AND THE NEW COVENANT

By James Scott Trimm
©1997 All Rights Reserved, Reprinted with permission
The Society for the Advancement of Nazarene Judaism:
P.O. Box 471, Hurst, Texas 76053
www.nazarene.net

In Hebrews 8 through 10, Paul gives a midrash involving The Messiah and the Yom
Kippur ceremony (described in Lev. 16). We can be certain that the subject is
Yom Kippur because it is only on this day that the golden censor is placed in
the holy of holies (Heb. 9:4 & Lev. 16:12), and that the High Priest enters the
holy of holies. Now, Hebrews tells us that the earthly holy of holies is a
shadow of the heavenly holy of holies (see Heb.8:2, 5). In the earthly holy of
holies is the ark of the Covenant, Book of the Covenant and Tablets of the
Covenant. These are symbols of the Old/Mosaic Covenant. In the heavenly holy of
holies then, is kept the New Covenant (see Heb. 8:2, 5-6; 9:11-15,also Heb.
8:8-11 quotes Jer. 31:31-34 on the New Covenant).

Now, there is an important parallel between Lev. 16; Heb. 8-9 and Rev. 5. In
Heb. 8 and Rev 5, the Messiah is at the right hand of the throne in the
heavenly holy of holies. In both Hebrews 8-9 and Rev. 5, the Messiah is also
able to do something because of his death and blood. In Rev. 5, he opens the 7
sealed book, in Heb. 8, he becomes mediator of the New Covenant (compare Rev. 5
& 6 with Heb. 8:3, 6; 9:12, 15). Moreover, in Lev. 16:14, blood is sprinkled on
the mercy seat 7 times, while in Rev. 5 & 6, Messiah opens seals 7 times
because of his blood. It would seem then that the opening of the sealed book in
Rev. 5 is synonymous with becoming mediator of the New Covenant in Heb. 8-9 and
the fulfillment of the meaning of the Yom Kippur ceremony of Lev. 16.

Now, let us look in more detail at the sealed book in Rev. 5. The Book of
Revelation often draws material from the prophets of the Tenakh. In this case
the "sealed book" seems to be a reference to a book mentioned in Is. 29:

    a.. For YHWH has poured out on you the spirit of deep sleep...
    b.. The whole vision has become to you like the words of a book that is
sealed...
    c.. therefore, behold I will again do a marvelous work among this people, a
marvelous work and a wonder...
    d.. In that day the deaf shall hear the words of the book, and the eyes of
the blind shall see out of obscurity and out of darkness.
    (Is. 29:10, 11, 14, 18)

Thus, with the revealing of this sealed book, the apostasy ends. This parallels
what we learn in the olive tree parable (Rom. 11:16-27).This parable speaks of
the apostasy of Israel as a "deep sleep" (Rom 11:8 = Is. 29:10). This olive
tree parable goes on to say that this apostasy will end at a time called THE
FULLNESS OF THE GENTILES (Hebrew MILO HAGOYIM = "a multitude of nations" (Gen.
48:19) referring to Joseph's seed ). This is the time of the making of the New
Covenant (compare Jer. 31:31, 34 & Rom. 11:27).

In Rev. 5& 6 we learn that the book is sealed with seven seals. These are seven
things which must happen before the book can be opened. These 7 seals
correspond to the curses which Israel is to go through for not having kept the
Law (Deut 28-29; Lev. 26). These seven seals also parallel the material in Mt.
24 as follows:

      Seal: Mt. 24 Deut. 28 Lev. 26
      1 Rev 6:1-2 Mt. 24:5
      2 Rev. 6:3-4 Mt. 24:6-7a Deut. 28:49 Lev. 26:17-25
      3 Rev. 6:5-6 Mt. 24:7b Deut. 28:18,38,51 Lev. 26:16,20,26
      4 Rev. 6:7-8 Mt. 24:7c Deut. 28:21-22,26-27,
      35,52,55,57 Lev. 26:16, 21,22,25,31
      5 Rev. 6:9-11 Mt. 24:8-24
      6 Rev. 6:12-17 Mt. 24:29-31 Deut. 28:23-24,62, 64 Lev. 26:19
      7 Rev. 7

Now, just as the Yom Kippur ceremony of Lev. 16 makes atonement for the sins of
the children of Israel (Lev. 16:16-21), the Messiah in Rev. 5, passes judgement
on Israel for having violated Torah. These judgements are the seals. Once the
judgements of Dt. 28-29 are made, then we can come to Dt. 30:1-4

Now it shall come to pass, when all these things come upon you, the blessing
and the curse which I have set before you, and you call them to mind among all
the nations where YHWH your G-d drives you, and you return to YHWH your G-d and
obey his voice, according to all that I have commanded you today, you and your
children, with all your heart and with all your soul, And YHWH your G-d will
bring you back from captivity, and have compassion on you, and gather you again
from all the nations where YHWH your G-d has scattered you.

Then we reach a parallel to Mt. 24:31=Mk 13:27 (remember Mt. 24 parallels the
seven seals):

    If any of you are driven out to the farthest parts under heaven, from there
YHWH your G-d will gather you, and from there he will bring you. (Dt. 30:4)

Then the text goes on to parallel Jer. 31:31-34 (which speaks of the New
Covenant):

Then YHWH your G-d will bring you to the land which your fathers possessed, and
you shall possess it. He will prosper you and multiply you more than your
fathers. And YHWH your G-d will circumcise your heart and the heart of your
descendants, to love YHWH your G-d with all your heart and with all your soul,
that you may live. (Dt. 30:5-6)

All of this is further demonstrated in Rev. 10:1-11 where the sealed book is
revealed. Here the voice of the seventh angel points to the seventh trumpet and
the beginning of the Kingdom of the L-rd (Rev. 10:7 & 11:15) just as in Rev.
22:12 Messiah comes with his reward... i.e. the sealed book he was worthy of in
Rev. 5, also the New Covenant.

Kirim email ke