Talking to myself again.

Looks like the problem is with the combination of JSTL and portlet session.

<c:out value="${sessionScope.test}"/> throws the exception, and
<%= request.getSession().getAttribute("test") %> is fine.

and the attribute I set inside portlet sessio is available in the http
session on JSP.

It is ugly if I am not able to use JSTL with JSP and portlet.