The profiling services would for example be used by the portal container to
find out which portlets should be displayed for a particiular user in which
layout structure (in the current implementation, this info is in the PSML
files).

Depending on these data, an aggregation module will invoke the referenced
portlets through the portlet invocation part of the Portlet API to
aggregate their content in one page. This would be done using the
service(PortletRequest req, PortletResponse rsp) method of the Portlet
interface.

Best regards,

Thomas

Thomas Schaeck
Portal Architect
Pervasive Computing Division
Phone: +49-(0)7031-16-3479   Mobile: +49-(0)171-6928407   e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Fax: +49-(0)7031-16-4888
Address: IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH, Schoenaicher Str. 220, 71032
Boeblingen, Germany

David sean taylor wrote:

Chris,

Yes, the profiler does support groups, but the security isn't implemented.
So you could take the JetspeedProfilerService and extend with security.

I will be doing just that, but first Im more concerned with how profiling
services will work with the portlet api.
I've seen that the portlet API has a User and ProfileUser object, but its
not apparent if a 'profiling service' is even defined as a standard
service.

Thomas, could you explain how profiling services plug into the Portlet API?
Sorry but its not apparent to me...

Thanks,

David