Matthias Krehl wrote:

> I tried to start Tomcat from the command line
>
>     tomcat run
>
> without (no problem) and with Jetspeed as webapp.
>
> This gave me indeed an error message on console:
>
>     Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
>         at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.init(Turbine.java:155)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doInit(ServletWrapper.java)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.init(Handler.java)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.init(ServletWrapper.java)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.context.LoadOnStartupInterceptor.contextInit(LoadOnStartup
> Interceptor.java)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.initContext(ContextManager.java)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.init(ContextManager.java)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.execute(Tomcat.java)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.main(Tomcat.java)
>
> which indicates a problem with the turbine-pool.jar
> isn't it?

It indicates a mismatch of different versions of the org.apache.turbine.Turbine class,
or some other
classes called by this one.

You have different pieces of turbine around.

Jetspeed needs turbine-TDK1a11.jar (or something of about the same age).

Remove from the classpath and tomcat/lib any jar related with turbine (
put them in the WEB-INF/lib of the webapp (cocoon1?) that needs them ),
and it should work.

jetspeed.war works when dropped in a compatible servlet container if no
old/incompatible version related with any of its components is either in
classpath or tomcat/lib. This includes: xalan, xerces, turbine, ecs,
village, castor and maybe other components (Self-Remainder, put it in
the FAQ :-) )