Portable should be ok m.n. to m.n+1  , but m+1 may be problematic.   Tomcat
to Jetty is not so much a problem, unless you get a m to m+1 issue at the
same time.

Precompiling is a good thing, just that it is fragile.

Some have argued that when we precompile, we should bundle the entire JSP
engine into the WAR to avoid such issues.   This might be a good idea, but
not yet acted on.

cheers

Greg Wilkins <gr...@webtide.com> CTO http://webtide.com