I'M NOT MARTHA - Friday, February 22, 2002

          Hi! I'm Lizzy!! and I'm not Martha!!!

* I'm in big trouble. I borrowed my daughter's 100 percent
cotton sweater for a weekend spa trade show and I spilled
black coffee on first the left sleeve and then a little
later when I was throwing the cup up into a garbage bin it
dribbled up the right sleeve. I haven't done anything to it
at all yet and was just wondering if you had any suggestions
on how to get black coffee out of a white cotton sweater, or
have I just bought myself a slightly stained shirt? Thanks
for any help you can give me. Heather H.

You poor thing! Since I am a terrible klutz, I can
sympathize! Never met a liquid that I couldn't spill. Rather
famous for it, actually. I look like a swan but I'm not!

As usual this is an educational opportunity... Just what I
love about writing this newsletter. I learn so much.
Somethings I know but the how and why...I mean I wouldn't
necessarily know that. So why is coffee such a pain to get
out? Well, there is a lot of information out there if you go
looking...which is precisely what I have done. Have fun. And
good luck with your stain Heather. Let me know if your are
able to get the stain out.

If everyone drank their coffee black, at room temperature,
and it was the caffeinated type, coffee spots would not be
the problem that they are. The problems are compounded by
the cream and sugar that commonly goes down with the coffee,
as well as the temperature at which it is spilled. Things
really got tough with the increasing popularity of
decaffeinated coffee. Many of the decaf coffees contain a
synthetic, food grade dye which is much more difficult to
remove than a tannin stain ever was.

The tannin in coffee, tea, and cola is actually tannic acid.
This is a naturally browning substance derived from vegetable
matter.

One of the most prevalent complaints regarding coffee spots
are the reappearing spots. They can be so frustrating because
they may be easily cleaned away, but will persistently come
back. This is particularly true for carpets.

One type of reappearing spot is the one that goes away with
cleaning, but gradually reappears as the carpet or material
dries until it has completely returned by the next day.

The other type of reappearing spot is the one that usually
cleans up very easily but comes back in the exact same shape
and in the exact same area. These spots do not reappear
immediately upon drying, but take some time. They could show
up as quickly as a day or two, but usually take from a couple
of weeks to a month or so. The culprit here is an invisible
residue that attracts soil. The culprit residue, on the other
hand, is usually very stubborn. The problem is compounded by
the fact that you cannot see the spot until it is too late
and the soil is reattached.

THE PHYSICS OF COFFEE STAINS

When a droplet of coffee or ink dries, why is the residue
ring shaped rather uniform across the footprint of the
original drop? Scientists at the University of Chicago suggest
that as the droplet dries the outer boundary of the droplet
remains pinned to the surface and that evaporating liquid at
the frontier is replaced by liquid from the interior. Along
with this flow comes most of the particles (e.g., coffee
grounds) suspended in the solution.

STAIN RULES

The very first rule of stain removal is to treat the stain
just as soon as the accident happens. Remember that a dried
stain is harder, if not impossible, to remove! Even when
treating a stain immediately, there are a couple of very
basic rules to obey:

*Never rub the liquid that is causing the stain, always
blot with absorbent cloth paper or sponge.

* Contain the spill to the smallest area possible, never
spread the liquid.

* Always work from the perimeter of the stain to the centre
(from outside in).

* If you use any product, check the colorfastness in an
inconspicuous place.

COFFEE STAINS ON CLOTHES

* Soak the garment in a mixture of mild detergent (dishwashing
liquid is just fine) with warm (not hot) water. Afterwards,
sponge with a cloth soaked in methylated spirits and finish
with a good rinse.

* Some people highly recommend soaking the garment in white
vinegar for a short time and then washing as normal.

COFFEE ON CARPETS

* Soak up as much as possible as quickly as possible. Wet the
area with soda water, sponge up surplus and blot dry. Finish
with a proprietary brand of carpet shampoo.

* If the coffee had a lot of milk in it, you may have to
clean the remaining stain with a mixture of vinegar, detergent
and water as shown in the wine on carpets section.

OTHER METHODS to remove a coffee stain from fabric or a rug,
try one of these:

* Work denatured alcohol into the stain, and then rinse with
water.

* Apply a solution of 1/2 teaspoon mild detergent in a pint
of water. Blot with a white towel. If the stain remains,
apply a 50-50 solution of water and white vinegar and blot.

* Dip a white cloth into a beaten egg yolk and rub the yolk
into the stain. Then rinse with clear water.

* Apply a mixture of egg yolk and glycerin to the area.
Wash off with warm water.

The egg yolk one has sort of thrown me. I found this method
all over stain removal sites so it must have something to it.
I've never tried the egg yolk one so this is an extra
precaution...just in case you need it, I add the yolk
cleaning info.

Egg : Scrape away as much as possible. Sponge with lukewarm
water. Never use hot water, as heat hardens the stain. If
this does not succeed; spread the stain with a paste of cream
of tartar and water, adding a crushed aspirin to the paste.
Leave for 20 - 30 minutes. Rinse well in warm water. OR use
diaper wash/sanitizer container sodium per carbonate.

COFFEE STAINS FROM VARNISH

To remove coffee or tea stains from varnish, rub camphorated
oil on. Leave a moment, and then wipe off with a dry cloth.

How about getting coffee stains off your china cups and pots?

* Use bicarbonate of soda to clean your coffee pot, run
dissolved through coffee maker then two more runs with fresh
water.

* Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda directly on coffee or tea
stains in cups and mugs, rub gently with sponge or washcloth
and rinse. To remove coffee and tea stains from porcelain,
china and plastic. If you need to clean stains from plastic
dishes, rub them well with baking soda as you would if you
were using a scouring powder. Or make a paste of baking soda
and water and proceed.

* A few drops of bleach in lukewarm water will remove tea
stains from cups and teapots. BUT bleach ruins the finish of
some plastic dishes.

* Fill your stained china (pot or cup) with very hot water.
Add a fizzing denture-cleaning tablet. Only a quarter tablet
is needed for a teacup, a whole one for a pot.

Tip teapots so that the solution fills the spout.

Let it sit for an hour. If the stains remain, you can let it
sit overnight.

Clean the pot or cup thoroughly with soapy water. Rinse well.
Let air dry for several hours.

* Soft bristle brushes are effective.

To remove coffee film from thermos bottle, pour in one tbsp.
raw rice and one cup of warm water. Shake well and rinse.

So there you have it!  Go have a cup of coffee...worry free
if not caffeine free!

Lizzy

Get more Fun and Amusement sent FREE to your email box! Visit:
                  http://www.shagmail.com

END OF I'M NOT MARTHA - Another FREE ShagMail publication
http://www.shagmail.com
Copyright 2002 by Pulse Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.
Feel free to forward this, in its entirety, to others.

---
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.- Eleanor
Roosevelt

---