On 02/23/2016 01:06 PM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:

On 02/23/2016 12:48 PM, Robert Scholte wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 01:52:50 +0100, Jonathan Gibbons <jonathan.gibb...@oracle.com> wrote:

On 02/22/2016 12:44 PM, Robert Scholte wrote:
Hi,

first of all I'd like to say that I'm very pleased with the new -mp options, these matches better with the way Apache Maven would like to work with jars and class-folders.

Here's my use case: I noticed that if I add a module-info to src/main/java and put all compile-scoped dependencies to the module path, all compiles fines. I assume that developers are less interested in adding a module-info.java file to src/test/java, so that's what I'm doing right now too. Now it seems that I *must* add compile + test scoped to the *classpath* to be able to compile the test classes. My first approach was to leave the compile-scoped dependencies on the modulepath and all test-scoped dependencies on the classpath, so the modules keeps their inner related structure, but it seems that the classpath classes cannot access the modulepath classes.

I'm looking for the confirmation that putting all dependencies on the classpath is indeed the right approach in this case.

thanks,
Robert

Robert,

We definitely need some more detailed notes on setting up javac compilations (note to self!) but one thing to note is that by default, the unnamed module (i.e. code on the classpath) only has observability of the modules in the system image. To make modules on the module path observable, you need to use the -addmods option.

-- Jon

Hi Jonathan,

this would indeed explain what I'm facing right now. However, adding -addmods gives me the following exception: Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: -addmods requires an argument at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Arguments.error(jdk.compiler@9-ea/Arguments.java:708)

Is -addmods followed by the same entries as -modulepath or by the modulenames. I really hope it is not the latter, because that would mean that I first need to discover and read all module-info files.

thanks,
Robert

Sorry, I should have been more explicit.

Both javac and java (the launcher) accept an option "-addmods <module-name>,..." which can be used to name modules to be included in the module graph. Confusingly, for javac, the option is listed under javac -X (that's a bug we will fix), but setting that aside, here's what the command line help says:

-addmods <modulename>[,<modulename>...] Root modules to resolve in addition to the initial modules

"java -help" says effectively the same.

So yes, the option takes a list of module names, not module paths.

-- Jon

... but that being said, note that you don't have to list all the modules on the module path. You only need to list root modules, and javac will determine the transitive closure of all the necessary modules.

So, if you're writing tests in the unnamed module, to test a module M, the chances are that you only need "-addmods M".

Alan wrote a separate email about different compilation scenarios. Note that in many/most of those cases, no -addmods was necessary.

-- Jon