HI Rafael,

On 19/05/17 11:57, Rafael Winterhalter wrote:
> Hi Alan,
> I understand your current time constraint, I still want to point out that
> this is a heavily used functionality and it not being available would cause
> problems in basically all production environments I am aware of where the
> lack of this API is not uncovered before running the application in some
> production or production-like environment. And while JVMTI might be
> optional in the spec, this is not how it is treated in practice. Therefore,
> I want to make this point against not having JVMTI available on the default
> jlink image but rather to include it by default. This can always change in
> a future version when this issue is better understood. As said, while it is
> not used by many people, a large number of Java users rely on it for their
> and third party application as basically any Java tooling is built around
> this. I just verified that this would be an issue for my current client
> where a lack of JVMTI would result in an infinite restart loop.
> Best regards, Rafael

I think you have the cart before the horse here. This is only going to
affect those who deploy apps which use custom images. It is not going to
affect anyone using a standard JDK release image.  For all practical
purposes this is unlikely to be a common circumstance.

Your desire to stop people painting themselves into a corner is, no
doubt, morally commendable. However, it is an error from which those
affected will be able to obtain remedy without your help (by fixing
their image). Personally, I think it would be better to leave anyone who
puts themselves in such an unhappy situation to implement the solution
for themselves. I will, of course, still do my best to educate all
Byteman users about the pitfalls that might accompany careless drawing
up of interior decor procedures. I don't really see why the JDK team
need to do that job for me.

regards,

Andrew Dinn
Senior Principal Software Engineer