Most project teams I come accross as a consultant broadly ignore warnings.
I would not expect that most people pay attention to a warning that an
image is not including JVMTI, especially if the implications are unclear to
the person in charge of running the build. Excluding JVMTI by default - ie
excluding JVMTI from most jlink images as I said - is therefore not a good
default in my opinion.

As for your "this is FUD" argument, I can say that I have been in
situations like I described myself. The mentioned problem does not
necessarily mean that a vendor would deliberatly change their product to
break a competitor but there is a good chance that they will not respond to
a request to include JVMTI in their image if they do not require it
themselves. Especially if this would enable a supplementary product to
compete with a (paid) feature of an open core platform's maintainer.
Personally, I did however even experience the first scenario.

Obviously, I cannot name you details due to signed NDAs and it is up to you
if you want to believe me. But if you need a specific example of this
behavior, look no further than the Apple app store and their history of
removing applications that compete with Apple's own products.

Again, I do not say that this will happen all of the time or even often,
but I expect it to happen sometimes.

Therefore, I find it reasonable to include JVMTI on any jlink image where
it comes at the cost of 130 kilobyte.