On 23/07/2021 12:17, Gunnar Morling wrote:
:

> For the migration scenario where the resources are in .properties format then the simplest may be to just deploy the JAR files on the module path where they will be treated as automatic modules.

In the scenario I have in mind (for educational purposes mainly) the JAR files contain the properties file as well code and should be usable as "proper" (i.e. non-automatic) modules as well as on the classpath.

> There are no split package issues unless the resources have been compiled as .class files.

That's very interesting, it's not what I observe. Having the *.properties in one and the same package in multiple modules triggers an error upon start-up:

I should have been clearer that the "no split package issues" comment was in the context of automatic modules where you "move" an existing JAR file containing .properties files from the class path to the module path. The .class files in the JAR file are used to determine the set of packages in the automatic module so if there are no .class files then it doesn't have any packages.

That said, I'm surprised by the exception message as suggests there must be dev.morling.greeter.fr classes or resources  in the dev.morling.greeter.german module. I think I'd need to see the output of `jar --file=<jar> --describe-module` to be sure.

-Alan