Xiang-Jun Lu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the years, I have been using RasMol 2.6.4 (from Roger Sayle) for
> interactive rendering of a 3DNA-specific rectangular schematic
> representation of base and base-pair geometry. As an example image, please
> see:
> http://rutchem.rutgers.edu/~xiangjun/3DNA/jmol/3dna_bp-rasmol2-6-4.png
>
> Recently, I am considering to use Jmol as well, given the great support of
> the Jmol community (as is evident from this list). While Jmol recognizes a
> regular alchemy format file without a problem, it does not render my
> schematic alchemy file as expected (e.g.,
> http://rutchem.rutgers.edu/~xiangjun/3DNA/jmol/3dna_bp.alc): a sample image
> is shown at: http://rutchem.rutgers.edu/~xiangjun/3DNA/jmol/3dna_bp-jmol.png
>
> Essentially, I am playing tricks with the alchemy format purely as a
> rendering tool by specifying explicitly each node and linkage, no chemistry
> at all. Hopefully, Jmol would be able to render it as well, just as RasMol
> does.

I don't know anything about the alchemy format. But I did a similar
thing in PDB format to design the Logo of our Jena3D viewer:

http://jena3d.fli-leibniz.de/doc/examples/Jena3D_Logo.pdb

And this works perfectly with Jmol:

http://www.imb-jena.de/cgi-bin/3d_mapping.pl?UPLOAD_DATA=&MODE=upload&SCRIPT=/Jena3D/examples/Jena3D_Logo-animated.jmz

So maybe you could switch to PDB format if alchemy format doesn't work
for you.

Regards,
Rolf