On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Xavier Prat-Resina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OpenBabel reads the Alchemy format
>
> http://openbabel.org/wiki/Alchemy
>
> which makes me wonder if Jmol could use the versatility of Open Babel and
> avoid writing new code.

It's very easy to write a file reader -- I realize there might seem to
be an advantage to using other libraries, but the sorts of things we
do with symmetry and embedded scripts and such have convinced me that
taking the time to make a new reader is still the best way.

I'm happy to make an alchemy reader, especially if it's just that
simple format -- I just want to know what it is before I write it and
then discover some odd sort of nuance I missed -- like the atom name
CAR is really one of a select set of possible names, not just
someone's ad hoc designation for "aromatic carbon"

Bob

> Xavier
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Angel Herráez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Philip Bays wrote:
>>
>> > As I recall, Alchemy was a program for the Mac back in the early 90's
>> > that Tripos sold.  I thought it had gone out of existence.  Is it
>> > still available, or has it been reborn?
>>
>> Oh, that may be why I can't find hardly any info on this format.
>>
>> A user posted in this list a question about Jmol reading this file format
>> incorrectly. He is using some old *.alc file for a dummy molecule.
>>
>> Apparently RasMol supports the format.
>>
>> Let's wait for more user feedback.
>> Thanks, Phil.

> Xavier Prat-Resina
> Research Associate
> Journal of Chemical Education and University of Wisconsin
> 209 N. Brooks St. Madison, WI  53715-1116
>
> Tel: 608 8901702 // Fax: 608 2627145
> e-mail: xavier ( ) chem.wisc.edu ; skype: xavierprat
> http://x.prat.resina.googlepages.com

1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057
http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr
phone: 507-786-3107

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900