I have just released a new version of FirstGlance in Jmol <http://firstglance.jmol.org> with the ability to save static images or presentation-ready multi-GIF animations. I have tried to make a user-friendly interface that can save these in just a few clicks, with optimal defaults. I welcome feedback from anyone who tries it out.

You can see some example animations in

 * Google Slides

<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1t-hAL5AWeGmXJdanNNusIbiLN0_c53laQe7PJrjQRe8/edit?usp=sharing>
   or
 * Downloadable Powerpoint

<http://bioinformatics.org/firstglance/fgij/ppt/animations-from-firstglance.pptx>
   (both sets of slides have the same content)

In order to simplify things, FirstGlance uses 'canned' rendering and color schemes. It does not have tools for customizing the rendering and colors. Customization in JSmol can be done most easily with the /Scene Authoring Tools /built into Proteopedia.Org (see its Video Guide <http://proteopedia.org/wiki/index.php/Proteopedia:Video_Guide>). Once you customize a molecular scene in Proteopedia, it is immediately available to share with anyone anywhere.

Any scene in Proteopedia (or on any Jmol web page) can be saved as a presentation animation. You just open the Jmol Console, write a PNGJ file, drop that into FirstGlance, and proceed to use the Save Animation tool in FirstGlance. (If you know how to use the 'capture' command in Jmol, you don't need to use FirstGlance, of course.) See Instructions <http://proteopedia.org/wiki/index.php/Help:Making_animations_for_Powerpoint>.

Thanks to Bob Hanson for the amazing 'capture' command, which even more amazingly saves files to your local disk from JSmol or Jmol_S in a web browser. Thanks to Angel Herraez for help along the way, and to everyone in the Jmol team!

-Eric