Bob,
I was under the impression that canonical SMILES would be the same from one
program to another, not just from the same program.  I participated in the Fall
2015 OLCC on cheminformatics, and that’s what I remember us teaching the
students.  So the distinction you are making is reasonable to me but a new idea.

It’s wonderful to hear that Jmol could convert the SMILES to InChI with such an
easy process.  Can it also do InChIKey?  The cheminformatics guys made a big
deal over that being better than InChI in the OLCC course.
Jennifer

Jennifer Muzyka
H.W. Stodghill Jr. and Adele H. Stodghill Professor of Chemistry
Centre College
600 West Walnut Street
Danville, KY  40422

jennifer.muz...@centre.edu<mailto:jennifer.muz...@centre.edu>
http://web.centre.edu/muzyka
http://organicers.org

859-238-5413
fax 859-236-7925

On Jul 22, 2016, at 9:01 AM, Robert Hanson