I just tried jmol-14.1.6_2014.01.14, and it was the same there. rotate
stops spin. Ah, but

reset

does  not reset spin in the older version. I think that must have been
considered a bug -- that reset did not stop spinning.

I think you are stuck with this behavior. reset really should stop spinning.

Bob

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900