Hi David,

I see, thanks for the explanation. Well, to my understanding, behind the
scenes, PostgreSQL stores copies of the base table for each inherited table
and replaces the original base table by a view of some sort. Querying your
base table yields:

QUERY PLAN                                                                |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Append  (cost=0.00..47.80 rows=781 width=318)                             |
  ->  Seq Scan on metadata  (cost=0.00..0.00 rows=1 width=318)            |
  ->  Seq Scan on metadata_int32  (cost=0.00..12.30 rows=230 width=318)   |
  ->  Seq Scan on metadata_float64  (cost=0.00..12.30 rows=230 width=318) |
  ->  Seq Scan on metadata_string  (cost=0.00..10.90 rows=90 width=318)   |
  ->  Seq Scan on metadata_boolean  (cost=0.00..12.30 rows=230 width=318) |

So, personally, I'm a bit reluctant to think that this will be decidedly
beneficial to performance. In what aspects or usage situations have you
measured performance to be superior?

In any case, to jOOQ right now, the base table and the 5 inherited tables
are all independent tables with no relationship (just as they are to most
of the SQL language). So, you can already use those tables with jOOQ, but
perhaps not in the way you would like. Maybe, you have any specific
questions on how to make best use of the underlying inheritance in jOOQ, or
what's keeping you from going forward with jOOQ's DAO's in this area?

Thanks,
Lukas