Hi all,

configs for my code generator are placed in the following directory,
of which the upper most level is an Eclipse-project:

> de.am_soft.sm_mtg.backend\src\main\code_gen\de\am_soft\sm_mtg\backend\daos\db\jooq\live\code_gen.xml
> de.am_soft.sm_mtg.backend\src\main\code_gen\de\am_soft\sm_mtg\backend\daos\db\jooq\live\logback.xml
> de.am_soft.sm_mtg.backend\src\main\code_gen\de\am_soft\sm_mtg\backend\daos\db\jooq\live\logs\2020-02.log

To execute things I'm using a launch config and am able to either set
a current directory and use relative paths to files or use absolute
paths using variable replacement provided by Eclipse.

> "${workspace_loc:de.am_soft.sm_mtg.backend/src/main/code_gen/de/am_soft/sm_mtg/backend/daos/db/jooq/code_gen.xml}"
> "-Dlogback.configurationFile=${workspace_loc:de.am_soft.sm_mtg.backend/src/main/code_gen/de/am_soft/sm_mtg/backend/daos/db/jooq/logback.xml}"

The problem is that I use subdirs based on the Java package and that
change form time to time and then I need to adopt those paths as well.
that means two changes in the launch config + one in logback.xml.
OTOH, if the launch config would only set the current working
directory to be in some lower level, I could use relative paths to
files mostly.

The only place left then based on the package is the
target directory of the generator. That needs to be adopted at least
when hierarchy changes:

> <directory>../../../../../../../../../java</directory>

How about supporting some environment variable in that path, so that
one can get a fix path always? The launch config could define one that
wouldn't change too often that way.

> XYZ=${workspace_loc:de.am_soft.sm_mtg.backend/src/main/java}
> <directory>${XYZ}</directory>

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--