Alas, I received no answers or hints, and never figured out a clean
approach. I've since abandoned my attempt to use jOpenDocument instead of
an UNO bridge. (UNO is slow and cumbersome, but well-documented and
functional.)

Questions about multi-line table cells have appeared before in this forum
(May 2014, May 2012, November 2010, October 2009, perhaps others), but they
only get intelligible answers if they're about *reading* such cells, not
about creating them.

--

---