> I base my judgement on this factor: Does the framework aggresively force me
> to separate into true MVC?

This sentence is deeply flawed :). What is the definition of a "true
MVC". MVC is a design pattern, and like any other design pattern, it
has many implementations.

> If not then it's a crap framework. If I can set
> internationalization strings in the model, If I can set page titles in the
> controller, or If I can call model functions from the view, the framework is
> crap. It should enforce clean MVC by preventing me from falling into
> pitfalls where possible.

I actually like using models from views, it's not necessarily a bad
thing, and there are lots of arguments supporting that. MVC is not a
religion, it's just a 'guideline' on how to write software. You are
free to transform this guideline into a framework/software. But
claiming that most frameworks are not true MVC is not very accurate.
Every developer uses the framework that closely matches their needs,
and style of programming.

I think of MVC as a container that has 3 main sections, and lots of
small drawers. I think of MVC frameworks as glue that puts everything
together. The part that usually defines the framework is the
controller. Hence, there are many frameworks that borrow the Model
(e.g. a DB abstraction layer like PEAR). They might provide a generic
interface for views; in a plugin API architecture, which allows you to
use any view you like (e.g. Smarty, or plain old PHP). But the
controller is almost always the unique identifier of an MVC. But then
again, this is not always 100% correct, MVC is just a "philosophy"
with a million interpretations.

- Ammar

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Jordan PHP Users Group" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/JoPHP
http://Jolug.org/
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to