Hi,

I decided to apply to GSoC once again this year.

During my GSoC last year I noticed that there are many things in JOSM
core that are working but make extending JOSM painful. I already send in
many small patches over the last year but I did not have the time to go
any further and work on some of the bigger tasks. Especially #11838 and
#11637 did not get the focus they deserved and starved a bit.

This is why I propose to restructure some things, especially around the
MapView.

Those are the tasks I identified and of which I think that they can fill
a summer - a lot of the work will be required for backward
compatibility, testing and fixing bugs.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CfGQBtsTljYg0N56sjeomZVRPTasyLoaAqVgbwDmzKs/edit?usp=sharing

Michael