"My Utmost for His Highest"  by  Oswald Chambers

June 22nd

ACQUAINTANCE WITH GRIEF

"A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief" (Isa. 53:3)

We are not acquainted with grief in the way in which Our Lord was acquainted with it;
we endure it, we get through it, but we do not become intimate with it.  At the
beginning of life we do not reconcile ourselves to the fact of sin.  We take a
rational view of life and say that a man by controlling his instincts, and by
educating himself, can produce a life which will slowly evolve into the life of God.
But as we go on, we find the presence of something which we have not taken into
consideration, viz., sin, and it upsets all our calculations.  Sin has made the basis
of things wild and not rational.  We have to recognize that sin in a fact, not a
defect; sin is red-handed mutiny against God.  Either God or sin must die in my life.
The New Testament brings us right down to the one issue.  If sin rules in me, Gods
life in me will be killed; if God rules in me, sin in me will be killed.  There is no
possible ultimate but that.  The climax of sin is that it crucified Jesus Ch!
rist, and what was true in the history of God on earth will be true in your history
and in mine.  In our mental outlook we have to reconcile ourselves to the fact of sin
as the only explanation as to why Jesus Christ came, and as the explanation of the
grief and sorrow in life.
--
Lukas Stevens
Minnesota