From: "Sanju Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [JOYnet] St. Mary Magdalene.
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:44:54 +0530

Dear brothers and sisters of the the JoyNet,

Saints are special people from whom we can draw a lot of inspiration in
our Christian Walk. They are people according to St. Paul who .."First gave
themselves to the Lord; and then by God's will they gave themselves to us as
well" 2 Cori 8 : 5. I would like to share my thoughts on the life of this
beautiful saint - St. Mary Magdalene who appears so many times in the Bible as
a person so intimate in serving Jesus. She is without doubt a powerful
intercessor for us to Jesus.

It is believed that St.Mary Magdalene was the sinner referred to in (LUKE
7:36-50) who anointed Jesus' feet at the banquet of Simon, the Pharisee. We
see Jesus appreciating her act of faith and forgiving her sins.

The gospel also suggests that St. Mary Magdalene used to help Jesus and his
ministry financially as is revealed in (MRK 15:41, 16:1; LUK 8:3). God used
Mary Magdalene and many other women to support Jesus and his disciples
financially. (MAT 27:55; MAR 15:41).

The gospel also speaks about Her being delivered from demonic possession.
She was one person who was desperately in need of divine intervention and we
see that she attains it through Jesus Christ the great Deliverer. MARK 16:9
says that seven demons had been driven out of her by Jesus.

St. Mary Magdalene after her encounter with Christ and His saving love was
steadfast in her faithfulness in following Him even under severe persecution
till the foot of the Cross with His Mother.(MATHEW 27:55; MARK 15:40; LUKE
23:49; JOHN 19:25).

We also see St. Mary Magdalene keen to anoint Jesus at the time of
entombment after his death. The bible says that she purchased the spices for
the anointing of Jesus body at the tomb. (MARK16:1)

St. Mary Magdalene reveals her deep commitment to Lord Jesus in John 20 :
11 when we see her crying bitterly at the Lords tomb and when she complains to
the Angels seated in the tomb - " They have taken "my Lord" away ..." We also
see St. Mary Magdalene sprinting to the disciples to inform them about the
empty tomb. Because of her great love and faith she gets the rare oppurtunity
to speak and listen to the voice of the Angels of God. The angel said to the
women, 'Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was
crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the
place where he lay.'"
MATH 28:5,6

And finally we see Jesus Himself rewarding her commitment, by revealing
first to her; after His resurrection and calling her " Mary " and she
responding as "Rabboni" - a word full of love and faithfulness.

St. Mary Magdalene is one of my favourite woman in the New Testament; after
Mother Mary who is full of zeal and love towards serving God. She should have
been very close to Mother Mary too and should have been present in the Upper
Room with Mother Mary and all the Apostles to receive the powerful anointing
of the Holy Spirit. She is truly a great saint isn't she ??

Now I invite you dear brother and sisters in making this prayer to St. Mary
Magdalene one of the oldest prayers written by St. Ansalem. Are we giving
enough importance to her in our prayers ? Cos she is one person who was really
intimate to Jesus and when she intercedes; you can be sure that the heavens
are gonna open!

Prayer to St Mary Magdalene

By Saint Anselm

In the name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

O, St Mary Magdalene, you came with springing tears to the spring of mercy,
our Lord Jesus Christ; from him your burning thirst was abundantly refreshed,
through him your sins were forgiven; by him your bitter sorrow was consoled.

My dearest lady, you know well by your own life how a sinful soul can be
reconciled with its creator, what counsel a soul in misery needs, what
medicine will restore the sick to health.

It is enough for us to understand, dear friend of God, to whom were many sins
forgiven, because you loved our saviour Jesus Christ so much .

Most blessed St. Mary Magdalene, I who am the most evil and sinful of
men(women) do not recall your sins as a reproach, but call upon the boundless
mercy by which they were blotted out.

This is my reassurance, so that I do not despair; this is my longing, so that
I shall not perish because of my sins.

Therefore, since you are now with the chosen because you are beloved and are
beloved because you are chosen of God, I , in my misery, pray to you, in
bliss; in my darkness, I ask for light; in my sins, redemption; in my
impurity, I ask for purity.

Recall in loving kindness what you used to be St. Mary Magdalene, how much you
needed mercy, and seek for me that same forgiving love that you received when
you were wanting it. Ask urgently that I may have the love that pierces the
heart; tears that are humble; desire for the homeland of heaven; impatience
with this earthly exile; searing repentance; and a dread of torments in
eternity.

Turn to my good that ready access that you once had and still have to the
spring of mercy.

Draw me to him dear St. Mary Magdalene where I may wash away my sins; bring me
to him who can slake my thirst; pour over me those waters that will make my
dry places fresh. You will not find it hard to gain all you desire from so
loving and so kind a Lord, who is alive and reigns and is your friend.

For who can tell, beloved and blest of God, with what kind familiarity and
familiar kindness he himself replied on your behalf to the calumnies of those
who were against you? How he defended you, when the proud Pharisee was
indignant, how he excused you, when your sister complained, how highly he
praised your deed, when Judas begrudged it.

And, more than all this, what can I say, how can I find words to tell, about
the burning love with which you sought him, weeping at the sepulchre, and wept
for him in your seeking?

Hear me, for your love, and for the dear merits of your beloved Mary, and
your blessed Mother, the greater Mary.

Redeemer, my good Jesus, do not despise the prayers of one who has sinned
against you but strengthen the efforts of a weakling that loves you. O Lord
Jesus Christ; who delivered St. Mary Magdalene from the evil spirit that
tormented her; come now and deliver us and all our near and dear ones from the
attacks of the devil by the intercession of Mother Mary and St. Mary
Magdalene.

Shake my heart out of its indolence, Lord, and in the ardour of your love
bring me to the everlasting sight of your glory where with the Father and the
Holy Spirit you live and reign, God, for ever. We put these petitions through
St. May Magdalene our patron saint. Amen.

Our Father. Hail Mary. Glory Be.

Bye for Now!

In the love of Jesus, Mother Mary and St. Mary Magdalene
Sanju Joseph
Bangalore.

To get a standard help message on the list services send a mail to