Hi Joynetters,

This passage is one of the more difficult passages to
accept if you read it literally at face value.
Even the fundamentalists are a bit wary about speaking
abt this passage..
We shouldnt read this passage alone..
we should read from versus 49-53 together..
then the real meaning comes out.

here it is..
49
 "I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish
it were already blazing!
50
 There is a baptism with which I must be baptized, and
how great is my anguish until it is accomplished!
51
Do you think that I have come to establish peace on
the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.
52
>From now on a household of five will be divided, three
against two and two against three;
53
a father will be divided against his son and a son
against his father, a mother against her daughter and
a daughter against her mother, a mother-in-law against
her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her
mother-in-law."

we always call jesus the prince of peace and here he
is doing the unexpected..
Here he is saying that he hasnt come to bring
peace.!!!

But then what is this peace that he is talking about..

Remember that the Hebrew language has very few words ,
hence many words convey different meanings in
different contexts..
For e.g the other troublesome passage is .." ....Hate
your father and mother.." which is in stark contrast
to the commandment." honour your father and mother"

The crucial word here is hate which in this context
means " not to prefer". they didnt have a word in
hebrew for prefer so they used the word for hate.
Jesus is saying prefer me to your parents.. I should
be first always ;they can be next..

Let us realise that we are using an english bible..

The hebrew was remembered and written in Greek, then
translated to latin, then translated to old english
and now is available in modern english.
So the english translates it word for word as hate..

In the same way in our passage the word Peace can mean
the harmony that exists in families and in
communities.

Jesus is saying that the message he is bringing is so
radical that it will even divide families( which is
the most united among all groups) into those who
accept and those who reject this message.

this is the comment the NAB bible adds as a footnote
to this passage.

"Jesus' proclamation of the kingdom is a refining and
purifying fire. His message that meets with acceptance
or rejection will be a source of conflict and
dissension even within families."

This is the meaning of this passage and it is true
since we have seen it happen all over the world for
the last 2000 years even among some members in our
very own joynet..

Love and Prayers

Ravi