I've been using them both together for a while. I do generally stick
to some of the simpler controls (like Repeaters, DropDownLists and
Buttons) and never use DataGrid's. But I don't use the designer much
and code mostly by hand. I just use postback's to add /edit / delete
records and then redirect (sometimes to the same page, but with the ID
appended). I don't like doing multiple postback's as you then have to
worry about viewstate and rebinding controls and manual refreshes of
the page (via user interaction on the browser).

Getting the rendered controls is not as simple as doing $
("#mydropdownlist") so to get around that I either apply a CssClass or
use $("[EMAIL PROTECTED]"). As the output is HTML, then you can
still use jQuery. It's just not as easy as when you use PHP or plain
HTML pages (where you have more control over the HTML that is
output).#

I wrote a post on using a WebHandler with jQuery a while ago:
http://webdevel.blogspot.com/2006/11/using-webhandlers-with-jquery-aspnet-2.html