It appears that extend no longer extends objects with more than one
object.  In 1.1.2 I could do:

    this.settings = jQuery.extend({}, this.defaults,
arguments.options, this.userOptionsFromCookie);  // named to
illustrate purpose

Now, only the arguments.options values extend the defaults.  Is this
expected behavior?