Recommended reading:
http://www.quirksmode.org/js/iframe.html

I just did a quick/dirty test locally and was able to manipulate the iframe
from the parent document. Using code like:

<iframe id="myFrame" name="myFrame" src="page.html"></iframe>

<script type="text/javascript">
   $('#trigger').click(function(){
       var myFrameDoc = frames['myFrame'].document;
       alert( $('a',myFrameDoc).css('background','#000').length )
   })
</script>

I used the click event just to make sure the iframe's document had loaded
(you obviously can't access it until it's there). I haven't tested the
.load() method on an iframe.

Brian.