LetsSurf,

>I've just finished writing a cookieJar plugin for jQuery, as I
>couldn't find anything like it for jQuery.
>
>http://www.jdempster.com/category/code/jquery/cookiejar/
>
>Thought I would post it here in the hope of some feedback.
>Please let me know what you think. Is this a good approach to the
>problem. If you found any problems or have any suggestions.

Looks interesting, but one suggestion I would make is to put a reminder
prominently displayed on the page that reminds developers that:

1) Cookies are sent with each request header.
2) The total Cookie size per domain is generally 4K (which is per the spec
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2109.txt.) This is not a per Cookie limit, but a
total name-value pair.

Here's what Microsoft says about IE:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306070

"Each cookie begins with a name-value pair. This pair is followed by zero or
by more attribute-value pairs that are separated by semicolons. For one
domain name, each cookie is limited to 4,096 bytes. This total can exist as
one name-value pair of 4 kilobytes (KB) or as up to 20 name-value pairs that
total 4 KB. If the computer does not have sufficient space to store the
cookie, the cookie is discarded. It is not truncated. Applications should
use as few cookies as possible and as small a cookie as possible.
Additionally, applications should be able to handle the loss of a cookie."

I only point these out as important as it could be very tempting for a
developer to want to stick a large JSON packet in a cookie, but they must
know the repercussions of doing this.

-Dan