@cmbtrx
I have just lifted the code directly from your second post, tagged
I can only suggest that you check that the path to the jquery.js source file
is correct for wherever you are running it, as that is the *only* thing that
would prevent the alert from showing.

(Actually, thinking about it, it's not the only thing that could prevent the
link activating, because you state that there is more html below the link,
and it is possible - though unlikely - for that to prevent the link
activation, so I would suggest that for testing you remove any extraneous
code from your page.)

Bratty missives beget bratty missives. Frustration can be understood,
accepted, and usually resolved - but responses are far more likely when the
request is couched in polite terms, and with as much relevant information as
possible.